[ale] easy first distro for a non-linux person?

Kilroy, Chris Chris.Kilroy at turner.com
Thu Jun 26 16:33:53 EDT 2003

i think w/ RedHat you are going to find overall more hardware support, and as a result, less potential serious installation/configuration troubleshooting issues for the novice user.

It was the first distro i installed myself, and that was 4 years ago and it was pretty straightforward.  It has gotten much better since.

->
->James P. Kinney III wrote:
->
->>From a newbie-admin standpoint who wants to work from a gui,
->RedHat is
->>pretty good. If you set them up with the retail $40 RH9
->package, she can
->>get 30 days of help directly with RedHat. And the printed manuals are
->>some of the better ones.
->>
->>Likewise, Suse has a gui that is easy to use. I think te
->terminology use
->>on the Suse Yast2 gui is a bit more technical than RedHat's.
->>
->>Sign her up for the redhat network stuff. That will let her do the
->>security fixes fast and easy.
->>
->>
->>
->RedHat publishes an admin book that retails for $50.  It provides
->complete information on how to use their distro using their custom
->tools.  It is geared toward novice users and you can pick it
->up at most
->bookstores in the metro area.   I think  that manual  and
->the RedHat
->iso's  from the net would be a good starting point for anyone
->new to Linux.
->
->Benjie
->