[ale] easy first distro for a non-linux person?

Bruce Griffis griffisb at bellsouth.net
Thu Jun 26 15:27:17 EDT 2003

On Thursday 26 June 2003 02:54 pm, J.M. Taylor wrote:
> Greetings Ale
>
> I'm trying to help out someone who is not an admin set up a linux box to
> run a small, inter-office application that she's going to write.
>
> I'll be helping her set up the server so I can lock it down, but after
> that it will be hers to manage.  So what are your favourite distros for
> total newbies who want a graphical interface to manage users and software
> packages?  I'm interested in ease of use followed closely by not
> flagrantly ignoring basic security as much as possible with an Xwindows
> environment.
>
> RH is the distro I know best, but from the command line, so I don't know
> how its user and package management apps compare to other distros. If
> there's something easier to use I'd like to hear about it.
>
> TIA
> jenn
I'm a total newbie (a month or a little more) and am having success with
Mandrake. But I am set up for home use, with minimal server stuff - just file
and print server using Samba (and SWAT for Samba admin). Also using VNC for
grabbing the desktop remotely - although the remotely is really just
controlling the PC in the bonus room from the laptop in the sunroom ;-)

Don't know if I would go with Mandrake in an office environment simply because
I don't see a lot of Mandrake books at Borders, and Linux courses at the
local colleges seem to be Red Hat.