[ale] RESOLVED: Reboot wedging problems after disk transplant

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Thu Jun 26 10:15:12 EDT 2003

On Thursday 26 June 2003 10:09 am, John Mills wrote:
> James, ALErs -
>
> Thanks for the lead.
>
> On 25 Jun 2003, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> > You will certainly need to be in runlevel 1 to do this.
> >
> > rm /tmp
> > mkdir /tmp
> > sync
> > sync
> > shutdown -h now

Hmm.  I just remembered.  When you create a tmp directory, remember to set
the permissions correctly (including the sticky bit) to rwxrwxrwt.  "chmod
1777 /tmp" should do it.

I don't _think_ not having the sticky bit will affect things until you get
a malicious (or ignorant) user who starts deleting files that don't belong
to him.  But it is better to be right.  OTOH, it may have something to do
with shy you neede the hacks below.  They should not be necessary.

Michael