[ale] RESOLVED: Reboot wedging problems after disk transplant

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Thu Jun 26 10:09:55 EDT 2003

James, ALErs -

Thanks for the lead.

On 25 Jun 2003, James P. Kinney III wrote:

> You will certainly need to be in runlevel 1 to do this.

> rm /tmp
> mkdir /tmp
> sync
> sync
> shutdown -h now

This was the right idea (Linux creates any essential '/tmp/' files at
boot), but I still didn't start X11 successfully in RH-7.3. What _did_ get
me home was pre-creating all the /tmp/* subdirectories by the following
ugly, round-about hack:

# mkdir /get_tmp
# telinit 1
sh # (cd /usr ; tar cf - ./tmp ) | (cd /get_tmp ; tar xvf - )
sh # cd /get_tmp
sh # find ./tmp ! -type d -print > ./tmplist
sh # rm -f `cat ./tmplist`
sh # cd /
sh # rm ./tmp
sh # mv /get_tmp/tmp .
sh # shutdown -h now

(Cycle power for calm, quick and orderly reboot. #8-)

Take out the trash:
# rm -rf /get_tmp /usr/tmp

NOTE1: '/usr' and '/' were different partitions so I used 'tar' to
transplant the ./tmp branch but 'mv' to move it down by one directory in
the same partion.

NOTE2: The song-and-dance through the dummy '/get_tmp' branch just
minimized the number of operations I did without a viable './tmp': you
could probably dispense with it. If I planned doing this again #8-) I
might try fewer steps, but I hoped caution would minimize further digital
self-amputations:
 "All's well that ends." -- Anon, after The Bard

Cheers.

 John Mills
 john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu