[ale] interesting difference in rh7.3 and winxp

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Jun 26 09:35:30 EDT 2003

I've got a box that is a dual boot rh7.3 and winxp.  I booted it to
winxp to test a proof of concept with Samba.  I then rebooted the box to
rh7.3.  In both cases I had configured the nic to use a static ip, and
it was the same each time.  All seemed just find in winxp, but when I
went to rh7.3, it would not permit me to activate the card from the gui.
  When I went to the command line, and attempted the restart the
network, it complained that the ip I was trying to use, was already in
use by another machine on the network.

Bottom line, xp didn't care, set the ip to an already used ip and went
along with it's business.

rh7.3 is smarter then winxp... :)

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...