[ale] Ummmmm Apple

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Tue Jun 24 15:46:24 EDT 2003

On 23 Jun 2003, Matty wrote:

> Anyone watch the WWDC keynote? I think the G5s and Panther are going to
> rule! This is off topic, but I felt it was necessary to spread my
> happiness ;)

Like many advances in the last decade, Apple does it first...with much
fanfare. Then Intel does it better and cheaper. Of course, if you want to
pick nits, DEC had the first 64 bit desktop/workstation. I'm not trying to
start a flame war with Mac enthusiasts, but let's be realistic. The CPU
speed is not THAT much better than Intel. Sure, you can break the 4GB
limit, but how many folks can afford 8GB of RAM in their desktop? To me,
this is much ado about nothing. Kinda like a 200 mph car. I think the
overall design is absolutely awesome, however. It's not the fact that it's
a (somewhat) reasonably priced 64 bit desktop that impresses me. It's the
total package. This is definately a well put together machine.
Furthermore, if I had a spare $2500 laying around, I'd most definately
pick one up. I've been looking to pick up a Mac for myself for a while.
I'm thinking that eBay will soon be flooded with the castoff G4s from all
the die hard Mac fanatics.

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security