[ale] Burning a dvd with cdrecord?

Robert L. Harris Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net
Tue Jun 24 08:47:36 EDT 2003

Thus spake James P. Kinney III (jkinney at localnetsolutions.com):

> On Mon, 2003-06-23 at 21:06, Robert L. Harris wrote:
> >   I have an IDE DVD (Sony).  I just made a cute little DVD of my son's
> > graduation from kindergarten and want to make copies for my remote
> > family.  I put the DVD in the drive and did a:
> >
> >   dd if=/dev/sr0  of=/tmp/Graduation.raw
> >
> > This created a 2.3Gig file in /tmp.  I tried to burn it with:
> >
> > cdrecord --speed=4 -v dev=3,0,0 -eject /tmp/Graduation.raw
> >
> > Looked good until cdrecord complained that it didn't have DVD-R/DVD-RW
> > support code.  Anyone know how I can burn this DVD so I can send these
> > things out to my family?
>
> 2 things. Make sure you have the right DVD format disk (i.e. a "+" disk
> in a "+" drive or a "-+" drive) then upgrade the cdrecord package. The
> latest ones do support DVD burning. I can't test it as I am still
> technologically challenged in that area.

I'll try with the proDVD when I get home as well.

The Sony drive I have will do DVD+ or -.

(To answer another response)
The "image" I made came from a DVD I know works as I played it in my
desktop with Intermedia WinDVD as well as in my standalone DVD player on
my TV.

:wq!
                                         @ x-hkp://pgp.mit.edu
DISCLAIMER: