[ale] Sound in RH9

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Jun 24 07:00:54 EDT 2003

Kevin Krumwiede wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 05:32:44 -0400 Geoffrey <esoteric at 3times25.net>
> wrote:
>

>> Try starting esd with the '-as N' where N is a number of seconds.
>> This tells esd to free up the audio device after N seconds.  I
>> suspect that you're having collisions between audio drivers.  You
>> can try explicitly killing esd and then see if xmms/gaim/panels
>> sound works.  If they do, the above option to esd will likely
>> resolve your problems.
>

> First of all, I'm not sure how Gnome starts up so I don't know
> exactly where and how esd is getting started.  If I kill it
> (sometimes requiring -9), all the clicks I've made to the locked-up
> Gnome Panel are suddenly processed, and all these apps and dialogs
> fly open.  When one of them tries to play a sound, esd is
> automatically restarted.  It'll play about half a second of sound,
> then lock up.   After that, any other apps that try to play sounds
> also lock up until esd is killed.  (XMMS and the Panel actually lock
> up completely; GAIM handles it better and simply goes silent.)  If I
> explicitly start esd with '-as N', it makes a weird outer-spacey
> noise on startup, then behaves as above.

The sound you're hearing is the esd startup sound, not a problem.  You
can disable the start up sound with '-nobeeps'.

It still sounds like you might have some kind of conflict between sound
drivers.  Like alsa and esd are competing for the hardware.  If you kill
esd, can you configure anything to work with alsa or a different sound
driver?  I'm not sure what gnome uses for a sound driver by default.

Do you see any error messages in any log files regarding sound?
(/var/log/messages ?)

cat you write a sound file directly to the audio device? (cat foo.au >
/dev/audio)

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...