[ale] Linuxthreads question

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Mon Jun 23 13:57:56 EDT 2003

On Monday 23 June 2003 01:49 pm, John Mills wrote:
> ALErs -
>
> I'm writing a multi-threaded application in a RH-7.3-2.4.20 system.
> Reading the LDP threading FAQ, what I need seems to be 'linuxthreads' so
> my threads will not be mutually blocking. I further see that threads are
> (in principle) integrated into 'glibc'. There seems to be at least one
> other threads package that won't do what I want.
>
> What lib and headers do I link to get 'linuxthreads' version of, say,
> 'clone()'?

I think that documentation is pretty old (years old).  What you need is
glibc--I don't think libpthread is even packaged separately any more.  (I
just check.  It isn't.)  Make certain you have glibc-devel installed too.

For documentation, I refer you to any pthreads book.  There are some minor
differences between the posix thread specification and linux pthreads
implementation, but you'd need to get pretty deep to notice them.  (And
supposedly they will be come come 2.6, and maybe even in RH 9!)  The main
thing to note is that each thread will appear as a process when you run ps
or top.  You can't send a signal to the process as a whole, only to a
specific thread--and that is the only real difference I know of with
pthread and linux threads.

Michael

Michael