[ale] Help! [Fwd: NFS problems]

Transam bob at verysecurelinux.com
Sun Jun 22 01:08:35 EDT 2003

On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 06:54:30PM -0400, Jonathan Glass (IBB) wrote:
> The following is an error from a workstation with an NFS mounted home
> directory.  The NFS server apparently has something misconfigured, but I
> cannot for the life of me figure out what.  If anyone has any ideas, I'd
> greatly appreciate the help.

It may be a permission problem.  Recall that the effective user of the
NFS client needs both read and execute permission on a directory to
"cd" to it under NFS.  (Technically, on a local disk only execute
permission on a dir is used to "cd" or to open a file under it.)

Try changing the dir permissions to 755 (if security policy allows)
and retrying.

Double check NFS config files as well.

The X authorization issue raises an eyebrow.

> Thanks

> Jonathan

Bob Toxen
http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux/Unix security consulting]