[ale] backup copy /home/user

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sat Jun 21 13:29:42 EDT 2003

Try archiving the data first.  Use
tar cvzpf home-user.tar.gz /home/user/*

Then burn that file to CD. When you are ready to reinstate it, as root:
cd /
tar xvpzf <path>/home-user.tar.gz

The files will be back where they were but now on the new machine.

It would also be a good idea to backup /etc/passwd, /etc/groups and
/etc/shadow, /etc/gshadow. This will move the old setup for users and
keep the UID/GID number in line with the tarball backup you just moved.

Note: if you copy over the new /etc/shadow with the one from the old
machine, the root password will change to what it was on the old
machine. You have been warned!