[ale] Suse or Red Hat? (yes, yes, i know here we go again...)

drew nobody at ale.org
Thu Jun 19 16:32:39 EDT 2003

On Thursday 19 June 2003 14:57, Preston Boyington wrote:
> > I am very interested in understanding how to upgrade and downgrade
> > software right now.  I need to downgrade gcc from 3.3-23 to
> > 2.96 or get
> > them to live side by side.  If I could apt-rpm gcc2.96 and it
> > would do
> > what was needed, I would jump for joy.
> >
> > Dow
>
> is Suse rpm based?  (yes, that's how little i know of it)  how easy is it
> to upgrade/update?  being an ignorant debian user (yes, it's possible) i
> "apt-get" whatever i need and haven't had _any_ problems with dependancy
> issues or having to locating some obscure file.  i am trying to be careful
> as i don't want my friend to call me from 40 miles away at 9:00pm with a
> problem.
>
> will apt4rpm work with Suse?
I have not seen, but Yast is easier to use than apt.

  i am guessing that mp3's and dvd's play
> easily?
VERY EASY. I don't even have to go download ogle anymore. Plus Suse comes with
plugger that plays most files right from the browser mozilla 1.2.1

1. Mozilla seems to be a HUGE weakness in Suse. It has done strange things,
for example: My wife clicked on some link that was not found and it cause a
strange crash in KDE - the error was related to nautilis?! The error box
would come up 54+ times and just continue coming up.

2. I just tried upgrading (which caused me to lose the install) because
Mozilla stopped working right on my user account also. When  would click
"find in this page" it would hang the browser. I am trying to find an easy
way to upgrade to 1.3.1.

3. Further, I could NOT install Java, trying several sets of directions.
Nothing worked. I don't want to give up on Mozilla, I have gotten used to it.
But it is the source of the only problems I have with Suse.

4. ALSO, Yast2 could not REMOVE Mozilla. I would simply hang on two boxes I
tried it on.

> or will i have to update the features myself?

Yast2 can do it. (Note: When I recently tried updating automatically using
Yast2, it crashed while updating the configuration files - which caused me to
lose the install). I will bet this won't happen again.

> Preston

Drew