[ale] ssh -X won't work

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jun 17 11:00:47 EDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 06:09:38PM -0400, David Corbin wrote:
> You're only partially right.  My permissions are not 0700, but 0755 on the
> directory.  But, I can ssh to the server just fine, and the permissions are
> the exact same as they are on a server that works.

Oops, you're right.  I was thinking of using public key authentication,
which requires the directory permissions to be 0700 (maybe only on some
versions of OpenSSH?).  Anyway, sorry for the confusion, guess I owe you
a beer :)

As Dow mentioned, use netstat to check that the ssh server is starting a
fake X server.  I see from your sshd_config that you are using the
default X11 offset of 10, so after you "ssh -X server" you should see
something like this:

jday:spiderman$ netstat -an
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address State
[snip]
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:6010          0.0.0.0:* LISTEN

If that's there, make sure your firewall rules don't prohibit you from
connecting to that port.  Try "telnet localhost 6010"; if you get a
connection refused, or if it just hangs, check your firewall rules.

HTH,
Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9