[ale] Linux lockup issue

Danny Cox danscox at mindspring.com
Mon Jun 16 23:43:06 EDT 2003

Chris,

On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 13:57, Chris Woodruff wrote:
> Has anyone seen this?  I have a stock Red Hat 9 machine and if left to sit
> with no activity it will lock up on me.  The cap lock and num lock lights on
> the keyboard will blink but all I can do is a reboot.  I have searched and
> tried to find a solution but have come up empty.  Anyone have a clue?  All I
> have that does not function on the machine is a old Aureal soundcard (that
> the sourceforge project drivers cannot be used for).

	That sounds like you've dropped into kdb.  It blinks the Caps lock and
Num lock leds when it's activated, either by an oops or a panic.

	If you're in X, then there's nothing you can do, short of blindly
typeing "go\n", and trying to look at some logs.  You should reboot
soon, though.

	If you can reproduce it while not in X, then you can use the various
kdb commands (like bt: backtrace), and see what it was doing when it
went belly-up.

Danny