[ale] Monday morning sadistics

Jeff Layton jeffrey.b.layton at lmco.com
Mon Jun 9 08:48:41 EDT 2003

Good morning,

   I've got a RH 7.3 box that I'd like to upgrade to KDE 3.1.x
and Gnome 2.2. I spent a chunk of the weekend looking for rpms.
I found the rpms for KDE 3.1.x (http://kde-redhat.sourceforge.net/)
but beat my head against a wall trying to get apt-get through my
firewall at home (the kde-redhat folks REALLY recommend
apt-get instead of using the rpms straight). I couldn't find too
much on Gnome, but I'm not really a Gnome user.
   So, after thoroughly making a bloody mess out of my forehead
banging on the keyboard, I've decided to become sadistic and
build both KDE and Gnome from source! Does anybody have
any tips/suggestions/pointers, etc. before I start to flail away?
   Oh and before anyone asks, I can't upgrade to RH 9 because
several of my apps won't work under RH 9 (commercial apps)
and I don't really want to upgrade to RH 8 right now (various
reasons).

TIA!

Jeff

--
Jeff Layton
Senior Engineer - Aerodynamics and CFD

"Is it possible to overclock a cattle prod?" - Irv Mullins