[ale] Distro tinkering

ChangingLINKS.com x3 at ChangingLINKS.com
Sun Jun 8 11:47:11 EDT 2003

> Is it feasible to add the servers to the personal release to upgrade it
> to the professional?  The personal is "just a workstation" but I want to
> tinker with Yast's server configs.

Yast seems to be much improved this release. I was impressed. I went to the
page of a package that I wanted to install and clicked the package. The
*browser* knew that it was a package and asked if I wanted Yast to install
it. I just clicked "install with Yast" button. Then, it told me that there
were dependency issues. To make a longer story short, I was able to simply
click with the mouse and satisfy the dependencies to install several programs
on my multi-media box.
The only thing I think could make it any easier is if Yast was able to locate
and install the packages it needs to satisfy dependencies for foriegn
programs (ones that are not in Yast huge but limited database). That may
come, but for now, Suse has made adding programs even easier that apt-get.
Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com