[ale] Making a class of windows sticky in KDE

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri Jun 6 22:18:59 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-06-06 at 13:34, Michael D. Hirsch wrote:

> I remember from the olden days that you could do such things with fvwm by
> typing the right incantation into a config file.  Anyone know if it can be
> done in KDE?  Is the kwin config file documented anywhere?  I couldn't
> find anything in a google search.

This brings up my current grouse about the desktop environments.
Michael's run into it on KDE and I keep hitting it on Gnome.

Documentation.

There is loads of stuff on how to use it as it is shipping (configured
for you, press button "A" to make widget "B" blink...). But the stuff on
how to make it do what _I_ want (all dialog boxes are on TOP until _I_
say otherwise {current RH8/9 big gripe}).

There is so much stuff I use in my Gnome environment that to change to
the new FVWM would take weeks of time I don't have.

Of course, I'm just spouting off about being lazy and wanting easy
config screens back a la prior to RH8/Gnome2. Pretty desktop icons are
nice, but I need stuff that works or at least doesn't tie my hands up so
it takes learning an entire new language just make a window sit still.

But then, my first TWM environment took nearly 6 months of tweaking
until I got it working right with all of the apps/tools I needed just a
click away. That was after 3 months of modeline testing to get X to even
load. At that point TWM looked great! And so did tkdesktop and CDE (for
a while).

http://www.localnetsolutions.com

 This is a digitally signed message part