Clarification (was: Re: [ale] Spam Assasin + Bayesian Filters)

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jun 5 16:39:54 EDT 2003

I hate replying to myself, but I left out a couple of details:

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 09:34:58AM -0400, Jason Day wrote:
> jday:spiderman$ ls -la /home/spamd/
> total 20
> drwxr-xr-x    3 spamd    root         4096 May 28 21:48 ./
> drwxr-xr-x    3 spamd    spamd        4096 May  7 11:47 ../
> -rwx------    1 root     root          163 May 28 21:48 fixperms*
> drwxrwx---    3 jday     spamd        4096 May 16 14:30 jday/
> -rw-rw-r--    1 jday     spamd        1395 May 16 14:23 jday.prefs

The fixperms file is there for a reason.  Whenever you run spamassassin
-r or sa-learn --no-rebuild, the learner stores the results in the
bayes_journal file, but doesn't rebuild the database (or something, I
don't fully understand how it works).  Periodically, you should run
sa-learn --rebuild to rebuild the database.  Unfortunately, when you do
this, it deletes the bayes_journal file.  spamd will recreate this file,
but then it will have the wrong permissions.  So I wrote the
fixperms script to correct this.  It's attached.

> Once you have this directory structure, test that spamd is working
> properly by running it in debug mode:
>
> spamd -x --virtual-config=/home/spamd -D -p 7783

You should run this command as the spamd user, not as root or your
normal user account.  Otherwise you might still have a permissions
problem and not realize it.

Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9

#!/bin/sh