[ale] Spam Assasin + Bayesian Filters

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jun 5 09:00:57 EDT 2003

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 07:19:42PM -0400, James P. Kinney III wrote:
[snip]
> doesn't get captured by the current spamassassin. I will need to see if
> the sa-learn command can use forwarded emails. If so, I, and the rest of
> my family will join the spam-free inbox club!! WooHoo!!

You might be able to get this to work, but it would take a good bit of
filtering first.  The spam would have to be forwarded as an RFC 822
attachment, not in-line, so that you could get the orignal message out
exactly as it was received.  Then you would have to run sa-learn as the
user that received the mail.  It would take some work, but not
impossible.

If you really want to go the spamassassin+Bayes route for multiple
users, you should probably look at using mysql for per-user
configuration.  One important thing to remember about Bayesian filtering
is that it works best if each user has their own Bayes database.  If
you use a single repository that learns spam from multiple users, it will
not be nearly as effective.

HTH,
Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9