[ale] CPU temp [was: Who's Your Mother...]

Van L. Loggins vloggins at turbocorp.com
Wed Jun 4 07:35:23 EDT 2003

>--__--__--
>
>Message: 4
>From: Christopher Russell <tiger_007 at adelphia.net>
>To: ale at ale.org
>Date: 03 Jun 2003 12:33:56 -0400
>Subject: [ale] CPU temp [was: Who's Your Mother...]
>
>Dow,
>Van,
>
>My Athlon XP1800, (not clocked) has CPU Temp of 54C/129F, with AMD
>retail box fan running 4700-5300 RPM. - It is quiet, on GigaByte-7VRXP
>mobo. - and it is stable!
>
>Aren't those Volcano heatsink/fans noisy?
>
>Chris

a little bit, but not the worst sounding fan that I've ever heard.

The Volcano 6CU+ is louder than the Volcano 9 however. The Volcano 6CU+
has a 60mm 7000 RPM fan in it.
The Volcano 9 has a 80mm 5400 RPM fan and has options to where you can
either turn down the fan speed via an
attached rheostat, or you can hook it up to the included thermal probe
that speeds the fan up or down
according to how hot the cpu is getting, or jumper it to run all of the
time.
 I set it to run at 5400 rpm all the time,
it does a good job at cooling the cpu when set like this.

Even if I purchase a Retail AMD CPU I never use the retail fans. I had
problems with
several systems the company that I used to work for sold that the retail
fans on them developed problems with the brushes
way way to early. the fans would randomly stop spinning and start
twitching and then the system
would overheat and freeze or reboot. Also the Retail fans weren't strong
enough to
 keep the cpu from overheating except in the very best ventilated system
cases.
54c sounds borderline to me, so watch it and be ready to change that fan
if you start having problems with the system freezing or hanging up. You
ideally want your temps to be in the 40s or lower.
Just my opinion.

>I had gone with the Zalman heat sink/fan combo but have the airflow
>badly configured in the case.  The case is just too small and the
>heatsink fits the wrong way to get proper airflow.  I'll fix this when I
>have some case money. :-)
>dow

Dow,
You definately want good air flow if you are going to use a Zalman, they
depend on it.
I think the Zalman Heatsinks are a work of art. Definately neat to look at.

You would probably see good results with that zalman in a good
ventilated case with
a Thoroughbred Revision B or Barton type core AMD Athlon XP cpu they run
a lot
 cooler than the older ceramic type athlons or durons cpus or the
original Athlon XP
Palomino type cpu core processors.