[ale] BSD(s) vs Linux

Greg runman at speedfactory.net
Sun Jun 1 13:52:32 EDT 2003

Smoothwall is not a "distro" per se - it only does firewalling, even stuff
in the kernel to make it possible to do other things has been stripped out.
It came from an old RH version that Dick Morrell and folks hacked to pieces.
It is more like a Cisco box - made to do only one thing.  I know that
NSALinux or securelinux or something like that was in progress, but I think
the NSA closed it down (or once they got the code from the community they
brought it all in house).  I priced the secure Solaris and it was exorbitant
in $$$.

I know in Linux Torvald's book, he didn't like the Apple folks because he
thinks the Mach kernel is crap.  I am not a kernel programmer, but I think
that the Mach kernel is more monolithic in nature as opposed to Linus's way
of ummmmm I guess "modulating" the kernel (for lack of a better word).  If
Apple would get a decent processor (the new IBM PowerPC looks encouraging or
the Opteron) I would go back to Apple in a heartbeat - but Apple's fault is
they are bastards for gouging in price.  They have always gauged their
faithful followers.  Several single processor boxes can beat the Apple dual
processor box - even in graphic intensive tests, which is supposed to be the
Apple's forte.  I forgot who did the tests, but I was impressed on how much
the Apple box is underpowered.  How depressing.

What I really want is a PC's low price, the Apples GUI, OpenBSD's security,
Linux's features for lots of home stuff, NetBSD's networking genius, and
running an a 64 bit Opteron processor and built with the sturdiness and
massive pipelines of a Sun box (and the case/board layout of an Apple).  OK,
maybe even MS's universal works-with-everything peripheral-related with a
single click and has lots of software out there.  That is what I definitely
want.

I have heard both sides on the BSD packages and ports thing.  I try to use
the packages if possible, but have had them go wrong about the same amount
of time percentage wise as an rpm type install.

I don't know about the FreeBSD snobs, but am very familiar with the OpenBSD
ones, however I do like the lack of flaming over what you choose - I have
even seen MS bashers get flamed for being OS militants.  Apparently they
don't care what you run - the culture is that you are a big boy (or girl)
and you can do what you want - just don't cry about it afterwards.  And they
understand that many sysadmins operate in an environment not of their
choosing and have to try to make do with the present conditions.

I would say you are right about the Linux to BSD converts. That is how I did
it.  And I would guess the seemingly increase in attention to servers by
Suse is due to the fact that that is probably where the $$$ are.   It will
be interesting to see if RH's and now Suse's run at the  business desktop
will fare.  If it does well,then  I could see an increase in home users -
especially with the price of Windows XP (which still leaves me in sticker
shock).

Greg