[ale] BSD(s) vs Linux

Robert L. Harris Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net
Sun Jun 1 11:02:59 EDT 2003

This is part of the problem.  It's not just Linux versus BSD.  It's the
Linux Kernel with GNU+ apps versus the BSD Kernel with GNU+ apps.

BSD and Linux both run alot of the same utilities once they're ported
from one to the other and vice versa.

The 3 different BSD kernels are very different amongst themselves
offering very different levels of security and portability.

The different distributions of Linux all run pretty much the same kernel
source but compiled and distributed very differently and controlled very
differently.  Redhat is a great Linux Desktop but is known to have
issues with security.  Mandrake is a derivative (or used to be) of
RedHat and is an even better desktop but with similar issues of
prefering Pretty over Stable.  Debian and Suse can both be very good
desktops but are made to be good servers.  Debian makes a very good,
very stable server platform that can easily add the desktop
functionality.

You can't really pick BSD versus Linux.  It's mostly become more of a:
  NetBSD vs OpenBSD
  OpenBSD vs Debian
  Debian vs RedHat
  RedHat vs NetBSd