[ale] Fresh Gentoo Install #2, and I've got 2 questions

Nathan J. Underwood lists at cybertechcafe.net
Thu Jul 31 20:18:38 EDT 2003

I'm installing box#2 (my desktop @ home) with Gentoo (was Red Hat), and I've
noticed a couple of things.  1) After I chroot into my 'new OS', and start the
emerge system, it can't resolve anything (the /etc/resolve.conf was properly
copied, and has the correct information).  I've ended up having to put entries
in /etc/hosts to make it work (even though from the ALT+F2 terminal I can ping,
lynx, etc to the host that it's trying [and failing] to find).  Am I doing
anything wrong here?  2) Is there a way to stop / restart the emerge system
process?  The reason that I'm asking this is that it seems to be getting hung on
occasion, and I've got an overwhelming desire to stop / restart it, but don't
want to have to go through the entire process again (will it pick up where it
left off?).  I'm sure that I'll have other bothersome questions later, and on
throughout my Gentoo experience, but these were the two that come to mind right now.

--
Nathan J. Underwood
nathan at cybertechcafe.net
http://www.cybertechcafe.net