[ale] emerge sync -vs- emerge-webrsync in Gentoo

Nathan J. Underwood lists at cybertechcafe.net
Tue Jul 29 13:51:59 EDT 2003

I'm dipping into the Gentoo waters, and have an install started.  This is my 3rd
attempt (don't ask) at the install, and I'm being a little more cautious this
time.  Last time (earlier today), I got to the point of doing the
scripts/bootstrap.sh, but found that there was nothing in the /usr/portage
directory.  I remembered [then] that when I had originally unzipped the stage1
tarball (the logic was, since I've never done it before, I'll start with the
hardest.  The logic seemed more clear then), and did the emerg sync, that after
3 retries I got an error.  The error said that if I was behind a firewall, I may
need to do an emerge-webrsync, so I did, and proceeded on.  Now, I've started
the install over (the docs said that on a 1.2GHz box the bootstrap phase took 2
hours, and I'm on a 300MHz box), and I'm at the emerge sync portion again.

My question is this:  Will the emerge-webrsync work [during the initial
install], or do I need to do some firewall tinkerin' so that an emerge sync will
work?

--
Nathan J. Underwood
nathan at cybertechcafe.net