[ale] Gates: Microsoft IP Finds Its Way Into Free Software

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Jul 28 08:34:46 EDT 2003

Preston Boyington wrote:
>>>Well, in a loose sort of way, Gates is right in saying that
>>
>>there is
>>
>>>Microsoft IP in other products,
>>
>>Don't even go there.  This is completely bogus.  The IP is  the
>>knowledge one used to create a product.  That knowledge is in no way
>>'stolen' when you create a different solution for an existing product.
>>

> Would this also apply to to programs that competed against M$ in a
> retroactive sense?  I think of Apple, OS/2, and PCDoS predomantly.

I'm not sure I understand the question.  The point is, you can not be
guilty of 'stealing' someone's IP unless you have some knowledge of the
specific implementation through actually seeing the code, having read
documents that provide the implementation details, or knowledge attained
from someone who has implementation knowledge from one of the
aforementioned.

You are not guilty of stealing IP if you create a different solution
that mimics the behavior of another companie's product.  As I noted
earlier, if doing so is stealing IP, we'd all be driving fords.

>>If we're not careful, the whole defintion will change, and
>>that is what
>>Gates is wanting.  First one there wins.  No need for patents now, if
>>you build it first, it's your IP and no one else can build
>>it?  That's a
>>complete crock of shit.
>>

> LOL, Geoffrey said "shit"!!!

Sorry, earthenware pot of excrement...

>>So we'd all be driving Fords?
>>
>>Gates is doing what he does best, comparing apples to rocks
>>and people
>>are buying...
>>

> True but the timing is great for them to do this.  SCO brings a suit, M$
> starts pointing fingers, it's all geared toward propaganda.  M$ has Longhorn
> in the wings to "save us all", they have got to create a reason for people
> to migrate or else their earnings will suffer.  They don't want another
> release event to sell 4 copies like ME did.

I completely agree with you.  One of the things M$ is very good at is
spin.  They'll tell you a widget is the right solution because it's red,
  twist it in a way that people fall for it.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...