[ale] Wireless networking suggestions wanted

John Marasco jemarasco at bellsouth.net
Sun Jul 27 22:54:47 EDT 2003

Preston Boyington wrote:

> I am going to (finally) buy a wireless setup for my house.  Upon
> visiting the local Office Max/Depot I see a majority of Microsoft
> branded devices (I gather they bought someone out).  I promptly left
> there and wrote "here".
>
> What are the setups ALEr's use?  Linksys?  Belkin?  M$???
>
> How well to integrate it into DSL or Cable internet?  (want to use
> laptop to surf from my lounge chair)
>
> yep, still at work,
> Preston

I have an 802.11b network with a netgear router and Linksys WPC11
wireless PCMIA card.  My brother has the Linksys router and the Netgear
has a little bit better software options (dynamic DNS and names for MAC
addresses are two criteria that I can think of right away) but the
Linksys has two antenna (which we decided in our ignorance may give a
little better reception).  Both of them worked good allowing me to get
reception two floors above where the router is located.

Linksys has Linux drivers on their website.

My wife has the Cisco (Aeronet) Wireless NIC and it doesn't appear to
get any better reception than the Linksys.