[ale] Job requirements

Ronald Chmara ron at Opus1.COM
Sun Jul 27 15:52:32 EDT 2003

On Sunday, July 27, 2003, at 05:55 AM, Jonathan Rickman wrote:
> On Sunday 27 July 2003 03:33, Stephen Touset wrote:
>> "5+ years experience with Exchange 2000/ 2003 design, implementation,
>> and migration planning"
>  The company ended up with a contractor who lied to get
> the job. Nevermind the fact that the recruiter forced the
> situation...the
> company now has someone who is willing to compromise his or her
> integrity
> to make a buck.

IME this is really about confusion involved in expressing the
needs/requirements of a given position... sure, someone can't exactly
have 5 years on software that's two years old, but if they *have*
worked with numerous prior Exchange implementations, other
MTA/Groupware migration projects, that's a lot more experience than,
oh, "2 years of Exchange admin".

A similar kind of requirement I often see, and gig on, often has a
requirement along the lines of "10 years of AD/LDAP", which really
actually means 10 years of working with directory services, spanning
multiple variants of LDAP, x.500, and other whacky non-standard
directory services. It certainly doesn't mean that you have a time warp
and went back ten years with a copy of AD to spend ten years working on
it.

It helps if you think of job requirements as the first draft of
programming specs. The specs don't state what is actually needed, so
much as what people *think* they need, in spite of things like budget
constraints, manpower, technology, reality.... :-)

-Bop