[CHAOS] Re: [ale] P.M.S. Tally so far..

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Sat Jul 26 10:11:39 EDT 2003

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003, Geoffrey wrote:

> I would go a bit deeper on the research there.  Just because someone
> says I use 'foo' it's the best!  Doesn't necessarily mean it is the
> best.  Let's get some real data here.  If your only experience with
> computers is Microsoft, then it's going to be the best,,,,, and the worst.

Also, the questions and answers so far have mostly conflated two different
independent pieces of software:

1. the package management system
	deb, rpm, slack tarballs, etc.
2. the front-end software used as an interface to #1
	apt, yast2, RHN/up2date, urpmi, yum, etc.

Me, I tend to like rpm for package management, mainly because I find it
easier to build software in rpm format than in deb format. Either are far
better than Sys V packages, Slackware tarballs, and similar, though, since
they actually do manage not just the installation of software, but also the
compilation of software and the dependencies between software (and both of
those are critical when you're dealing with customizations across multiple
machines)

I often use rpm straight-up, but if I want a front-end, I use yum or RHN.
They're both nice front ends b/c they work well, are scriptable, and scale
well from managing 1 machine to managing thousands simultaneously....

BTW, for all the apt fans, you'll be glad to know that yum is already in Red
Hat Rawhide, and apt will be shortly....

later,
chris