[ale] Package Management System

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat Jul 26 09:46:17 EDT 2003

James CE Johnson wrote:
> ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
>
>> Ditto. I believe anyone who believes that another package manager is
>> "better" than Yast2, has not used Yast2.
>>

> I've never used Yast2 but from Geoffrey's description below it sounds
> like Mandrake's urpmi works about the same 'urpmi some-package' will go
> find 'some-package' and all of their dependencies and get 'em installed.
> The only real pain in the butt is finding good, stable and up-to-date
> RPM repositories to feed to urpmi.addmedia.

I'm still a big fan of Mandrake, but with SuSE 8.2, you don't have a
problem finding the sources, YAST2 offers the sites for you.  There's no
reason to look anywhere else.  If I want something that SuSE doesn't
offer, I get the source and compile it.  Generally, these things are
relatively esoteric in nature (motion detection software for my camera
and the festival speech synthesis stuff...)

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...