[ale] Job requirements

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat Jul 26 09:38:32 EDT 2003

Stephen Touset wrote:
> I've been looking on monster.com for a new job. I've already got one as
> a network administrator, but I'm doing it mainly out of curiosity (to
> see if there's anything better out there, and what I'm "qualified" for).
> However, I'm noticing that most of the job listings have requirements
> that are, frankly, obscene. There of plenty of jobs whose objectives I
> *know* I can do (hell, I do most of them now), but require knowledge far
> past what is needed to complete them. Has anyone else noticed an extreme
> disparity between the skill level a job requires, and the skills
> required to even be considered for the job? If so, it seems that
> companies are wasting significant resources hiring highly overqualified
> people when someone who'd be willing to work for half the cost is
> perfectly suitable for the job.

The bottom line is, there's a glut of out of work techies and "I believe
I'm a techie," so, unfortunately, the companies are trying to weed out
as many as they can in order to just reduce the volume of the noise.

Sorry, not a helpful answer, but a reason why they tend to over specify
the requirements.

Job: wash toilets

Experience: 10+ years in a software development environment, using every
programming language ever created, expect LISP...

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...