[ale] Job requirements

Stephen Touset stephen at touset.dyndns.org
Sat Jul 26 02:26:30 EDT 2003

I've been looking on monster.com for a new job. I've already got one as
a network administrator, but I'm doing it mainly out of curiosity (to
see if there's anything better out there, and what I'm "qualified" for).
However, I'm noticing that most of the job listings have requirements
that are, frankly, obscene. There of plenty of jobs whose objectives I
*know* I can do (hell, I do most of them now), but require knowledge far
past what is needed to complete them. Has anyone else noticed an extreme
disparity between the skill level a job requires, and the skills
required to even be considered for the job? If so, it seems that
companies are wasting significant resources hiring highly overqualified
people when someone who'd be willing to work for half the cost is
perfectly suitable for the job.

Then again, I also may be overestimating my capabilities. I wonder which
is more likely.

Stephen Touset