[ale] Linux laptops (dell)

Thomas Holmquist fishy at ipa.net
Wed Jul 23 21:48:38 EDT 2003

>The only problem I know of is the i810 sound card.  It only supports one application using the device at a time.

WRONG! It's the OSS sound drivers that only support sounds from one app
at a time. try ALSA (http://www.alsa-project.org) for better sound
drivers that can play sounds from more than one source at a time.

And in reply to Dow Hurst: my Inspiron 8100 does _not_ support ACPI,
heck it does'nt even support APCI! (two diffrent things) It only
supports APM, but the funny thing is, nVidia's linux drivers _dont_!
(tho you can hack the old drivers so they do.)