[ale] OT: FAQ: Where to recycle computers

Van L. Loggins vloggins at turbocorp.com
Wed Jul 23 14:47:19 EDT 2003

>Message: 4
>Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 08:44:44 -0400
>From: Geoffrey <esoteric at 3times25.net>
>To: ale at ale.org
>Subject: Re: [ale] OT: FAQ: Where to recycle computers
>
>Van L. Loggins wrote:
>

>>> If anyone has any old computer equipment
>>> (that is capable of running a fairly modern version of linux)
>>> and they want to donate it to a good cause please email My friend
>>> Sergio Chavez here is his email address. Sergio at turbocorp.com
>>> He will be more than happy to come and pick it up from you.
>>> He is putting together some computers that he is going to donate
>>> to a church down in panama that His church sent him to. He recently did
>>> some
>>> mission work for them helping them to build their church. Any Donations
>>> will be appreciated.
>>

>What is the minimum processor he is working with? (p100, p200 ???)

Pentium based, any speed. The systems that my friend Brenda donated all
were
P133 or slower but the kicker was the hard drives in them were
500 megs or less. That makes it tough to install a lot of the more
modern distributions.
I suggested that he cannibalize some of the older systems and put
several hard drives in each system
I know a lot of folks are starting to toss their older Pentium II
systems, if we could find a source
for him to get some older Pentium II equipment from to work with this
would be great.