[ale] CVS repository as apache DocumentRoot

Joseph Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 22 13:58:10 EDT 2003

Benjie Godfrey <bgodfrey at layton-graphics.com> writes:

> >Josh
> >
> >On Tue, 2003-07-22 at 12:07, Michael E. Barker wrote:
> >
> >> Does anyone have experience in making a CVS repository work as a
> >> document root for apache.  Basically I'm trying to set up a dev
> >> site where I don't have to export everytime I make a small change
> >> but want version control to keep coders from overwriting one
> >> another.
> >>
> >>If you could point me to a howto this would be great.

> Try this:
>
> http://stud.fh-heilbronn.de/~zeller/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/

Unfortunately, this won't do what Michael wants. cvsweb provides a web
view of a CVS repository, but what Michael wants is to have his entire
web site actually *be* a CVS repository, so that changes to the pages
take effect "magically" when the .html files or whatnot are checked
into CVS.

Michael, I suggest you do this:

(1) Check your document root and its subdirs into a regular CVS
respository as usual.

(2) Do a "cvs get" of the document root to establish the base working
document root for your web server.

(3) Have a cron job on the web server do a "cvs update -d" in the
document root every ten minutes or so. That way, changes will
always appear within ten minutes of checkin.

The only problem you'll have with this is that files that are
*deleted* from the CVS repository won't get deleted from
the web server's document tree. That's kind of a bugger.

I wonder if something like subversion might provide a better
solution? (<http://subversion.tigris.org>) (I have no idea
about the answer to that question, incidentally.)

Cheers,

-- JOe

--
Dibbler stunned two sausages and enbunned them...
-- Terry Pratchett, "The Truth"