[ale] Perlcc + static binaries

Fletch fletch at phydeaux.org
Tue Jul 22 10:17:20 EDT 2003

>>>>> "Christopher" == Christopher Fowler <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com> writes:

    Christopher> I need to take a perl program from a RH 7.2
    Christopher> distribution and move it to RH 9.0.  It is using some
    Christopher> of the old ucd-snmp modules and I need to use just
    Christopher> one piece.  Is it possible to user perlcc to create a
    Christopher> static binary instead of a dyanimc one?

Conventional wisdom is `perlcc: Just say no.'

Simplest solution would be to just find the source (either from CPAN
or from backpan (http://history.perl.org/backpan/) if it's really
old) and compile it on RH9.

You may also want to take a look at PAR, which will let you bundle
your program and any modules up into a real executable more reliably
than perlcc (but it also can make a large honking executable).  Slides
from a tutorial at this years TPC are at http://xrl.us/ldg

770 294-0820 (m)      |  scary questions." -- Jules                =(___)=