[ale] USB Pen Drive and Knoppix

Debrihmi debrihmi at chaos706.org
Wed Jul 16 17:28:41 EDT 2003

Hello there!

I've done some playing around with Knoppix 3.2 and have found some rather
interesting things that are not covered in the FAQs..

I've been operating under some mistaken assumptions (yes, i know..) which
were set straight today..

Mistake One:
First of all, when running on a Pentium II / 330Hhz / 64MB RAM / Win95, I
aborted Knoppix load when prompted with the "need more RAM, do you want to
use DOS partition" message.  Had I chosen 'NO' it would have still started an
X session with no monster KDE. This X session gives you all menu options and
full application usage (right click on background) which put the rest of
these 'mini Live distros' to shame..  Just DO NOT load Open Office unless you
like pain..

Mistake Two:
If you insert a USB Pen Drive then boot into Knoppix on an inferior system,
Knoppix will ask you if you DO want to use, "/sda1" as a swap file as it does
recognize the Pen Drive as a device..  The catch? (but of course there's a
catch!) The Pen Drive needs to be 60MB or greater or else it is useless for
swap..

Hope this helps someone..

~
Debrihmi