[ale] e-mail address harvesting from web pages

Nathan J. Underwood lists at cybertechcafe.net
Tue Jul 15 20:14:32 EDT 2003

I hate to throw my ignorance out there for all to see, but what about using
Javascript to hide your e-mail address.  Use the onclick event to create a link
dynamically, and use the text name AT domain (nathan at cybertechcafe for
example) so that it looks (even to our somewhat technoplegic users) like a link,
but that the harvesting computer doesn't see as anything more than text?

Quoting Christopher Bergeron <christopher at bergeron.com>:

> John, I've had good success (thus far) by visually obfuscating my email
> address my website.  Something to the effect of:
> cbergeron [at] somedomain [dot] NOSPAM com is what I currently use.  A
> reader will most likely be able to easily figure out the email address,
> and some easier obfuscation on the "mailto:" anchor tag will give your
> less informed readers a little bit of a lead in how to send you email.
> You'll ultimately come down to a user intellect level with your email
> address.  By making your email address so obvious that any idiot can use
> it, you'll open yourself up to machines that can do the same.  By
> providing a layer of required human intellect, you may isolate the
> lesser IQ'd individuals (ala, you can't use a true mailto: anchor), but
> you'll make it more difficult for harvesters to email you as well...
>
> Just my .02 pfenning -
> -CB
>

> John Mills wrote:
>
> >ALErs -
> >
> >On reading a recent Consumer Reports article on spam, one person whose
> >e-mail I post on an organization's web site asked that I either take some
> >measures to impede harvesting addresses from our web site, or that I
> >remove his address. He suggested a graphic image instead of text.
> >
> >I am concerned that redoing text pages as graphics will cause me more work
> >(though not overwhelmingly more, as I only update this fram annually), and
> >that its legibility would depend greatly on each viewer's browser setup.
> >
> >I suggested three alternatives:
> >(1) Post the page as PDF (though my colleague expects that would soon be
> >cracked), or
> >(2) Routing the replies through some forwarding pointer to a single
> >officer whose unhappy duty it would be to dump the spam while forwarding
> >inquiries to appropriate club officers (not preventing spam, but shielding
> >the recipient's actual address), or
> >(3) Presenting the user-name and mail domain in separate entries of a
> >column, requiring correspondents to reassemble the address in order to
> >write.
> >
> >I assume any measure we take will eliminate the possibility of 'click here
> >to write' e-mail.
> >
> >How are other people handling this issue?
> >
> >TIA.
> >
> > John Mills
> > john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu

Nathan J. Underwood