[ale] *tap* *tap* is this thing on?

aaron aaron at pd.org
Sun Jul 13 05:57:23 EDT 2003

On Sunday 13 July 2003 03:22, Ronald Chmara wrote:
> On Saturday, July 12, 2003, at 04:35  AM, Geoffrey wrote:
> > Ronald Chmara wrote:
[snip]
> > Why the move to Atl?
>
> Fiancee got a CDC job.

I moved here from the West, too. You'll miss the desert. A lot. There are too
many nosy trees here looking over your shoulder all the time. Outside of
that, I think you'll Atlanta is a fairly safe and civilized island in the
dark and dangerous backwater swamp of the deep south. ;-)

> >> thoughts on dedicated residential service, and anything else that
> >> might help a desert linux rat. I need a /27 or /28 (the pain!) on
> >> something 256Kbits or better, with an ISP I can talk routing with,
> >> not some idiot who uses a GUI to manage a cisco.... thoughts?
> > I've been extremely pleased with speedfactory.
>
> Two votes for the so far, no votes for anyone else...

Only because the question comes up on the list every other day and only the
two members with speedfactory stock still answer it. ;-)

Look at Speakeasy. Best EULA I found in many hours of service searching last
January. REALLY excellent customer service... and I know because Bell South
screwed up my lines (again) and we've been fighting the Covad / Bell
beauracracy for a couple months now to try to get them to repair their screw
up... talk about patience and persistence!

Another Speakeasy plus is that they are extremely Linux / BSD friendly, even
to the point that they host one of the 2 main RPM-find mirrors.

--------

And welcome to ALE!
The monthly Central meetings are held just a few blocks down the street from
the CDC, so we'll expect to see you and your fiancee there every month! :-)
And in case no one mentioned it, our hazing policy is that new Atlanta area
members have to give the main 1 hour presentation at the monthly meeting that
follows thier joining the mailing list. So what is your Linux related topic
going to be on Thursday, August 14?? :-)

peace
Aaron Ruscetta,
Associate ALE Central Meeting Moderator
(desperately fishing for next month's presentation)