[ale] Wirless NIC Advice

Hogg, Russell E ctcrreho at opm.gov
Fri Jul 11 14:24:57 EDT 2003

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Orinocco Gold works right out of the red hat box...
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>beautifully in fact..
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Russ
-----Original Message-----From: Kilroy,
Chris [mailto:Chris.Kilroy at turner.com] Sent: Friday, July 11, 2003
2:14 PMTo: 'ale at ale.org'Subject: RE: [ale] Wirless NIC
Advice

  I snagged a new Lucent Orinoco Gold card for $45 on
  ebay.  You can buy them for as cheap as $57 or so from a "real" online
  store.   I have only used it with my wife's laptop (WinXP), so i
  cant comment on how well it works under Linux, but speaking on the hardware
  front, it is awesome.
  I've heard nothing but good things about it.  More
  detailed infoz here: <A
  href="http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Orinoco.html"
  target=_blank>http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Orinoco.html

  -> -> <FONT
  size=2>->I'm building a laptap (old Dell Pentium III 500 MHz something
  ->or other) and purchasing a wireless NIC PC card
  for it.  I'll ->probably try to install SuSE
  Linux on it (because I've had ->good luck with SuSE
  installs in the past).  I'm looking at a <FONT
  size=2>->Netgear (good luck with Netgear and Linsys equipment in the
  ->past and this is the cheapest) MA521 (802.11b)
  ($45) and was ->wondering if anyone knows:
  -> ->1) Will I have driver
  issues? ->2) Is there a better (cheaper/reliable)
  deal? -> <FONT
  size=2>->Thanks, ->John Marasco <FONT
  size=2>-> -> <FONT