[ale] [OT] Inside A U.S. Election Vote Counting Program

Joseph Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 10 10:06:59 EDT 2003

"ChangingLINKS.com" <x3 at ChangingLINKS.com> writes:

> > I guess the grain of salt to take with this article is that if you click on
> > "Bev Harris" on the blackboxvoting site you'll see that she owns a PR
> > firm.. she's obviously good a that.
>
> I am not as concerned with her tactics as the problems she exposes. In this
> case, the only thing she is hurting is the sub-standard programmer's
> feelings. Further, she does not rise to the level of personal attack . . .
>
> I just wish there was someone like her in the Linux community who would add
> the obvious PR for Linux.

Though the problems in this case arise mainly not from the use of
M$ products (although the choice of Access for the backend is
totally unjustifiable), but rather from a fundamentally stupid
and insecure approach to gathering and tallying votes in the
first place. Linux per se wouldn't help with that.

It appears that the people who spec'ed and wrote the software didn't
take the trouble to familiarize themselves with the rudiments of
secure voting protocols (or perhaps <cynicism intensity="high">
were encouraged not to apply such knowledge when designing the
software); and the same can be said of Dr. Britain J. Williams,
who allegedly certified the system for GA. The whole lot of 'em
oughta be run out of town on a rail.

They're using this Diebold shite in Texas, too :-(

-- Joe