[ale] OT: MySQL Blobs

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Thu Jul 10 08:51:33 EDT 2003

I'm working on a media center for home and would like to store
media files such as DivX and MP3 in MySQL as blobs.

When I do this:

instert into mp3 ('Song #1', '

I then cat the mp3 file to the script so the second value is the
actuall binary data of the file.  Do I need to convert the data
in any way to avoid certain reserved characters like the '.  I want
to do a final source create.sql and hopefully my song is stored in
the database.

The next question is on using a raw device as a database.  When I did
a lot of Oracle we used to use raw devices as database devices instead
of files.  Is this possible in MySQL.  I am striving to create
a system that does not have to be cleanly shut down.  I may have to use
something like JFFS2 or ReiserFS to do this but I would like to not
have to worry about shutdown procedures.

I have not determined what type of interface I am going to create to
extract the media files.  I may just use Java or possible Qt.

Thanks,
Chris