[ale] syntax scp or rcp

Fletch fletch at phydeaux.org
Thu Jul 3 14:10:06 EDT 2003

    Dow> What is the right syntax in a tcsh for retrieving a remote
    Dow> tar archive and piping it into a tar extract command?  This
    Dow> doesn't work:

    Dow> rcp walker:/d2/rep/temp.tar | tar xf -

Both rcp and scp are going to want a local path to write to.  You need
to use ssh and cat.

ssh walker cat /d2/rep/temp.tar | tar xf -

Or if you use zsh something like this:

tar ztvf <( scp hermes:tmp/src/rsync-2.5.6.tar.gz /dev/stdout )

770 294-0820 (m)      |  scary questions." -- Jules                =(___)=