[ale] Slackware permissions problem?

David S. Jackson dsj at sylvester.dsj.net
Wed Jul 2 09:59:17 EDT 2003

Hi,

I was just getting CUPS configured on a Slack 9 box to queue jobs to a
Debian lprng print server.  I've never used CUPS before, so let me know
if I'm out to lunch here.

Anyway, I was getting errors like "printer did not accept control
file".  I chased my tail for a while learning what a control file was,
but the job was showing up in the remote access log with no errors, so I
looked back at the CUPS client (Slack 9) box.  I turned on verbose debug
logging, saw a permissions problem:  something like "can't access
/var/lib/spool/cups/c000123: permission denied".  I scratched my head
and wondered why that should happen, since I thought the printer spool
should really be over in /var/spool/lpd or somesuch.  I looked at
/etc/cups/cupsd.conf and sure enough, the default seems to be in
/var/lib/spool/cups.  Why can't they put it over in /var/spool? (or do
they just expect me to put it where I want?)

But /var/lib/spool was owned by root.sys with permissions of
drwx------.  I'm not sure who creates that directory and its ownership.
Was that a CUPS installation convention or did Slack itself create that?
Anyway, when I changed the ownership to lp.sys from root.sys on
/var/lib/spool, everything worked fine.  Finally, this Slack 9 client is
printing properly.

So was this an installation problem with Slack?  Was it an installation
problem with the CUPS slack package? Did I do a "no no" by changing
permissions on /var/lib/spool?  Or do I need to send a bug report to
somebody after I do some more checking?

TIA!

--
David S. Jackson <dsj at dsj.net>