[ale] MySql Replication

attriel attriel at d20boards.net
Tue Jul 1 10:44:42 EDT 2003

> ------------------------
> | Master In Alpharetta |
> ------------------------
>   Slaves  |
>   ----------------------
>   |                    |
>   Alpharetta        Buford
>

> Is it possible to modify data in the slaves and
> that data be modified in the master?  I
> think I remeber that you had to allways
> modify the master

AFAIR, no.  You have to modify the master, the slaves basically allow you
to distribute querying (so, if you get a LOT of requests, but no so many
updates) ...

For some of the stuff I'm trying to do, multi-master systems would be
useful, and I remember talking to someone last year who said it was
possible IF you add a new field for all tables "serverid" that is
auto-filled by each server with it's own ID, then the uniqueness of
whatever column is extended to include the serverid as well (b/c the
auto-inc fields won't be unique anymore, since two servers might be
serving at the same time)

Then there was some other problem with that scheme that I didn't follow
(being why I haven't set this up yet :/)

If you get any more tips, let us know :)

--attriel