[ale] recovering an ext3 drive

Bob Toxen verysecurelinux.com at verysecurelinux.com
Sun Jan 26 15:43:37 EST 2003

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 09:39:22AM -0500, Michael D. Hirsch wrote:
> I think UNIX is a classic example of this.  It is incredibly powerful and
> robust, but apparently very difficult for most people to understand.  Why
> they don't understand it is a mystery to me, too, but I'm one of those
> weird software developers who is part of the problem in the first place.

I beg to differ.  I've had no problem taking secretaries who had no
computer experience at all and taught them how to log on to UNIX, use
vi and nroff to write, edit, print, and mail documents.  They seemed to
experience far less frustration and were more productive than the many
people who use Winbloz now.  The situation now is that EVERYONE (except
me) knows Winbloz so of course UNIX/Linux will be "harder to learn" because
they don't alreay know it.

The rumor that UNIX/Linux is harder than DOS/Winbloz is M$ FOD.  Please
don't further it.
> Any design which ignores the human element will lose the popularity contest
> to one that doesn't.  So, as a user, given two computers one of which does
> offer undelete and the other which doesn't, of course I'll choose the
> former.  I'll even think that the other one sucks.

> Given two chainsaws, one of which will cut off my toes if I'm not careful,
> and the other with Toe-Cutoff-Prevention (TM), which one would you pick?

The "cut off my toes one" because that vendor has better advertising and
very aggressive salesmen.  The problem is not in Engineering, it is in
Sales & Marketing.  It also was in a very long boom economy that allowed
inefficient companies (customers) to survive despite many stupid decisions
(like M$).

The current depression will weed out some of these and pressure companies
to switch the less expensive Linux instead of upgrading Windows with its
ever more expensive and restrictive licensing.