[ale] postfix question - config

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Fri Jan 31 16:05:14 EST 2003

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, Armsby John-G16665 wrote:

> All,
>
> The facts are as follows.  I can now send mail to anyone outside of the Linux Server EXCEPT to those accounts
> who are on the linux server.  What did I miss to enable internal mail?  Below is the postfix main.cf file.
>
> Facts:
>
> host = xena
> domain = wepd.mot.com
> relay server = pobox.mot.com

Just fyi, in the future just post the output of postconf -n. That'll display
just the non-default settings, which is usually enough....

Also, the easiest way to diagnose problems is to look at the log file....

> # REJECTING UNKNOWN LOCAL USERS
> #
> # The local_recipient_maps parameter specifies optional lookup tables
> # with all names (not addresses) of users that are local with respect
> # to $mydestination and $inet_interfaces.  If this parameter is
> # defined, then the SMTP server will reject mail for unknown local
> # users.
> #
> # If you use the default Postfix local delivery agent for local
> # delivery, uncomment the definition below.
> #
> # Beware: if the Postfix SMTP server runs chrooted, you may have to
> # copy the passwd (not shadow) database into the jail. This is
> # system dependent.
> #
> #local_recipient_maps = $alias_maps unix:passwd.byname

Without having seen the logs, I'd bet this is your problem. Uncomment it
and copy /etc/passwd to your chroot jail if you're running Postfix chrooted
(and if you're running a distro-supplied copy of Postfix, you almost
certainly are chrooted to /var/spool/postfix).

later,
chris