[ale] Error: symbol foo is already defined.

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Fri Jan 31 15:59:21 EST 2003

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, Michael D. Hirsch wrote:

> > Hmm, no problems like that here. All I had to do was blacklist CDCEther
> > and usbdnet then worked fine on RH 8 w/ my Zaurus.
>
> I must confess I have no idea what you mean.  How does one "blacklist
> CDCEther"?

There are multiple drivers which all implement variants of Ethernet over
USB. CDCEther is in the 2.4 kernels, and gets loaded automatically when
you plug in the Z. It doesn't work, though -- I think the encapsulation
checksum it does is for the iPaq, not for the Z. For the Z, you need the
usbdnet driver, which isn't in the 2.4 kernels yet, but is in 2.5....
Before you can use usbdnet, you'll need to disable CDCEther, which you do
by adding the line

CDCEther

to /etc/hotplug/blacklist

> I had to patch the RH kernel and compile the module.  I think there was
> some minor editing of a conf file to enable usbdnet.  I can connect fine,
> but if I take the Z out of the cradle for a few hours, when I put it back
> and turn it on I get a connection, followed by a very hard crash of both
> my desktop and the Z.
>
> Are you using the Sharp rom, or OpenZaurus?

Sharp. OZ ain't ready for prime-time yet....

> Could you send me a copy of your usbdnet module?

The binary module's not going to work for you -- I'm SMP, and also patched
for IPSec. I'm using the 0.4b revision of the source, if you need a copy
of that, though (look for the string DRIVER_VERSION to see which version
you have).

later,
chris