[ale] Error: symbol foo is already defined.

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Fri Jan 31 12:03:06 EST 2003

On Friday 31 January 2003 10:01 am, Chris Ricker wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, Michael D. Hirsch wrote:
> > Once you get it working, lets compare notes.  For anyone wondering
> > what we're talking about, usbdnet is a kernel module to do TCPIP over
> > the USB port.  It is used by the Zaurus to talk to the Linux desktop
> > for synching and network access.
> >
> > I can connect to my Zaurus fine the first time I turn it on.  But then
> > if I disconnect for long enough (I don't quite know how long, yet)
> > when I plug it in again everything seems okay for about 30 seconds,
> > then both my RH desktop system and my Z lock up.  My keyboard LEDs
> > start plashing and nothing works.  My Z freezes with the screen on and
> > I have to use the reset switch.
>
> Hmm, no problems like that here. All I had to do was blacklist CDCEther
> and usbdnet then worked fine on RH 8 w/ my Zaurus.

I must confess I have no idea what you mean.  How does one "blacklist
CDCEther"?

I had to patch the RH kernel and compile the module.  I think there was
some minor editing of a conf file to enable usbdnet.  I can connect fine,
but if I take the Z out of the cradle for a few hours, when I put it back
and turn it on I get a connection, followed by a very hard crash of both
my desktop and the Z.

Are you using the Sharp rom, or OpenZaurus?

Could you send me a copy of your usbdnet module?

Thanks,

Michael