[ale] Error: symbol foo is already defined.

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Fri Jan 31 09:04:18 EST 2003

On Thursday 30 January 2003 08:09 pm, John Wells wrote:
> Trying to remake my kernel modules to add usbdnet, but getting all sorts
> of "Error: symbol X is already defined" messages.
>
> What's the most common cause of this error?  Is it a problem with
> including two .h files that both declare a variable or constant?  How
> could I debug this?

Hah ha!  I know why you're doing that!  I went through this a few weeks ago
with similar problems.

My problem was that I was useing the RedHat sources which were packages
incorrectly.  The solution was to make distclean before compiling.
Somehow the RH sources were made for another achitecture before packaging
and get the wrong things defined.

Are you using RH 8.0?  I find that I can bring my system to a screeching
halt with that module and I'd be hearing about other experiences.  It
works well for me with Mandrake.

Michael