[ale] Which Distro should I use?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Jan 30 14:59:00 EST 2003

John Wells wrote:
> Everyone has the right to choose ;-).
>
> I for one use Red Hat almost exclusively after trying gentoo, debian,
> slackware, and peanut on for size.  Each had their niceties and drawbacks.
>  But, in the interest of efficiency, I went with the distro I was most
> comfortable with.

I spread it around, so I can get the experience of the various dists.
If I'm loading Linux on older hardware, particularily firewall
implementations, I go with Slackware, which for me, has provided the
smallest footprint of any of the major dists.

> I don't necessarily agree with making a decision against Red Hat simply
> because they're actually profiting from open source.

I don't have a problem with any Linux vendor profiting from open source.

> IMO, Red Hat is one
> of the bigger reasons Linux is gaining popularity and is being considered
> as a legitimate replacement for Windox X and for the various *nixes out
> there.  Red Hat contributes quite a bit to the open source community, and
> I'm glad to see them come close to succeeding.

Absolutely, I agree.

> Pulling for the underdog is fine, but I wouldn't lump them in with
> Microsoft yet.  Red Hat is a great distro, and a good company.

I hope I did not give that impression.  I'm glad Red Hat is around.  I
don't think they're anything like M$.  On the other hand, I think it's
good that Red Hat has some competition.  Although I'm currently leaning
towards SuSE, I recently joined the Mandrake Club as I feel they have a
good distribution and having them around is a good thing.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...